Subject: Re: SCSI panic
To: Greg Oster <>
From: Gary D. Duzan <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1997 12:33:11
In Message <> ,
   Greg Oster <> wrote:

=> writes:
=>[snip of panic when newfsing /dev/rsd2e]
=>> The drive is:
=>> sd2 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <MICROP, 4345WS, x43h> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
=>> sd2: 4340MB, 4811 cyl, 11 head, 167 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8890029 sectors
=>That 8890029 seems wrong (see below).

   Ok, that seems to be it. A new disklabel with the corrected
sizes gets rid of the problem. If I'd been more awake at the time
I imagine I would have noticed that the end cylinder numbers for
some of the partitions were larger than the number of cylinders on
the disk.  (Doh!)
   Nevertheless, I don't like that it panicked in this situation.
It should be able to give the process a seek error of some sort
and continue on its merry way. Is there general disagreement with
that, or should I send-pr it?

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computing Arts