Subject: Re: README: -current broken for a while
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1997 13:23:31
> There are other people who share responsibility for this.   I wish
> they would own up to their responsibility and apologize - it would go
> a long way towards healing the schism.   But you are the only person
> thus far who has had the cojones to stand up and say ``it wasn't me.''
> I'm sorry, Chris, but it was you.

"It was me" only in as much as I was willing and had the desire to
exercise my rights.

(1) I wanted and want to enforce the existing copyrights and license
terms on my code and on others.  That I can enforce my own copyright
is my right by law in this and many other countries.

(2) I wanted and want to use a license on my code which has certain
features regarding credit for use.  That I can put whatever license I
want on the code that I own is my right as well.

While you might not like me for doing either of those things, you
certainly can't fault me for wanting to do them or for doing them.

The resulting mess: core's decision then indecision, the way the code
was removed from the source tree, etc., is _not_ my fault, and no
matter how many times you try to blame me for it you will still remain
wrong.  The very most you could expect from me is better communication
with members of 'core', but it's undisputed that, especially at the
critical stage of this when they were taking action, _they_ were
uncommunicative and took me quite by surprise.  You might think that
you could expect me to compromise on (1) or (2) above, but doing so
would have been above and beyond the call of duty, not something to be
expected "as a matter of reasonableness."

I owe NetBSD nothing, and I owe you nothing, least of all ownership of
blame for others' lack of forethought, lack of communication, and
excess of haste.

cgd