Subject: Re: pkg_* tools and doc (was Re: new i386 snapshot uploaded)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1997 09:57:41
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Alistair Crooks writes:
> > > Related to this, I'm itching to do a pretty comprehensive HOWTO
> > > documentation project for NetBSD.. anyone having the same itch?
> >
> > Take a look at the FreeBSD doc project, if you can - they're using some
> > fancy SGML-based stuff that sounds like it's nice, nice, nice. Looks like
> > we can learn from them here as well.
>
> I think we should be stealing their doc tools, frankly...

I just took a look at it, and they appear to be using a variant of what
was originally linuxdoc-sgml (I can't remember what they are calling it
now, but I don't like the somewhat cheezy arrow gifs that it puts at the
top and bottoms of pages ;-)  This is the same package that I use for
the NetBSD/mac68k FAQ and some of the related docs.  The version that
FreeBSD uses appears to either be an older version of linuxdoc-sgml, or
else they've modified it somewhat from the current version (sgmltools?).
Obviously, the cute little navigation bar at the top was not part of the
original linuxdoc-sgml package.

That said, I do recommend sgmltools, or whatever it is currently called.
It does a fairly good job of sgml->text and sgml->html translation
(although it lacks decent table support).  Having worked with it for about
2 years now, it's fairly easy to learn how to use, and since Linux uses it
for a large portion of its HOWTO's, the format should be familiar to a lot
of people.

Later.