Subject: Re: new i386 snapshot uploaded
To: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1997 02:53:13
Redhat4.2 has a really nice install script, BUT I think it's overkill.  A
shell script would be perfect and small enough to fit on the floppy.
While you are at it, could you do a package installation script so new
users can install precompiled bins easily? :)

Related to this, I'm itching to do a pretty comprehensive HOWTO
documentation project for NetBSD.. anyone having the same itch?

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Missing - presumed fed. wrote:

> ...there are install tools...? :-)
>
> Is anyone actually _working_ on install tools, or is it still up for
> grabs?  'Cause my experience with NetBSD has thus far been to just
> grab the snaps/binaries/tarballs/whatever and haul them over and do
> a manual install [I run sparc and i386].
>
> In fact, last time, about the only thing I did via the install script
> was to label the disk (on an ix86 -- I haven't had to relabel my disks
> on my sparc (knock on packed cellulose)).
>
> and Yes, this is an offer to work on some install tools.  Seeing as we
> can't realistically do an X interface, do we have the space for a curses-
> based installation toolset on the install floppy?  Static or dynamic
> probably doesn't matter unless we're doing more than one program,
> here.
>

> 				--*greywolf;
> --
> Humanocentric religions and ways of life have proven to be our undoing.

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087