Subject: Re: How-To and history of docs
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1997 21:27:47
At 01:37 PM 9/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Markus Illenseer wrote:
>>  How am I supposed to read documents in /usr/share/doc/* ?
>
>I believe that you do a 'make' and then print out the resulting
>postscript, although there might be a way to create a text version of
>them, but I don't know enough about the text tools to say for sure.

I've made a few of these once, by hand.  I started with a 'make -n' and
modified the commands a bit; I don't remember if I tried a man page version
or just the PostScript, but either one shouldn't be too difficult.

>>  Where do those files come from, who wrote them, and why do we miss
>> some of those files from BSD-lite ?
>
>I believe that they are part of the original 4.4 lite distribution, and
>the ones we don't have probably either don't apply to NetBSD or else have
>licensing restrictions which are unacceptable to the NetBSD Project
>(however, I suppose you'd have to ask core for the authoritative answer,
>Jason?)

http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Documentation/lite2/lite2.html contains several other
documents (although not all) that are not in the NetBSD distribution,
albeit only in PostScript format.

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown