Subject: Re: DCE/DFS
To: None <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1997 22:36:52
Hi Dave,

> or
> 	(c) the source code was exported on paper and then scanned and
> 	OCRed in a foreign country.  That was how PGP got exported.
> 	Apparently, there is a loophole in the export restrictions which
> 	say you can't ship source code in machine readable form, but
> 	printed source code is perfectly OK.  The PGP source code was
> 	some enourmous number of lines, and is being sold to 'the rest
> 	of the world' by some commercial entity in Finland.

I know.

I have the freely-redistributable version of that code, from Norway
(btw), maybe you confuse Norway/PGP with FInland/ssh?

Anyway, the copyright, apparently also from the scanned version of that
book, is very explicit about non-commercial use, with a version that I
fear that I may not look at the source during my working hours at
university. After all, I make my income by reviewing and testing
software packages for the CS departments' use --- its part of my work
duties.

I asked PGP Inc. to clarify this, and some even more paranoid fears of
mine, but they didnt answer my fax yet.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis