Subject: Re: anybody working on...PCI IDE?
To: Charles M. Hannum <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1997 21:45:28
>> Anyone working on the PCI IDE (w or w/o DMA) support?

>I modified the wd driver to use bus.h and added a PCI front-end some
>time ago.  Unfortunately, I then found that:
>1) the IDE chip I had was hard-wired to `legacy' mode, so I couldn't
>even test it, and
>2) there's a conflict between the port numbers used by the ISA IDE
>controller and ISA floppy controller, which causes one or the other
>(currently the floppy) to not be detected.
>I have reasonable hardware now, so I can actually test it, but the
>conflict needs to be dealt with somehow.

One of the FreeBSD folks worked up a driver that does DMA EIDE, and
supposedly a lot of people are having good success with it so far.
It' still beta, but it might be worth checking out...

  Michael L. VanLoon
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.