Subject: optimizations
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William J. Coldwell <billc@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1997 15:27:23
I need to set up a couple of machines and need suggestions for kernel
configurations.

The user shell/ftp/web machine with the configuration below needs to be
able to run 200-400 or so concurrent users:

Intel PD440FX Motherboard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Intel Pentium-II 300MHz
128M to 384M RAM
Adaptec 2940UW (or 3940UW)
3 or 4 Micropolis 9G 1991W-NT (or Seagate 4M-W Barracuda) probably CCD'd
DEC 21x4x Ethernet (or 3Com 905 or derivative)
some lame PCI video card

EMail/News servers:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Intel PD440FX Motherboard
Intel Pentium-II 233MHz (or 266MHz)
128M RAM
Adaptec 2940UW (or 3940UW)
a pile of Micropolis 9G 1991W-NT (or 2G-W Seagate Hawks) probably CCD'd
dual DEC 21x4x Ethernet (or 3Com 905 derivative)
some lame PCI video card

config bitches if you give it more than 64 as the maxusers, and I suspect
that BUFPAGES and NMBCLUSTERS will have to be set higher than 2048, but what
is reasonable?

--
        William J. Coldwell -- Founder and Chief Technical Officer
Warped Communications, Inc. - 1601 Civic Center Dr - Santa Clara, CA 95050