Subject: Re: ahc bug in current? (was: ccd changed in current?)
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1997 20:04:27
>I have two theories:
>	(a) The system gets stuck due to an unbalanced splbio() call.
>	(b) The ahc driver sets up some sort of PCI DMA parameter that
>	    loses with 486 PCI chipsets.  (Note, I have not heard any
>	    reports of this problem on Pentiums or greater, and have
>	    not been able to reproduce the problem on an AlphaServer
>	    8200 with an ahc connected to several RAID boxes doing
>	    performance measurements).
>Given that the only two reported incidents happen on 486 PCI systems, I
>am inclined to go with (b).

Oops.  This is a Pentium-class machine.  It's a Cyrix 6x86 P166+
(i.e. 133MHz) chip in a Triton-1 (Asus P55TP4N) motherboard.  Since
it's still NetBSD 1.2, it doesn't know how to identify the Cyrix chip,

  Michael L. VanLoon
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.