Subject: Re: Licensing constraints...?????
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1997 10:48:10
John F. Woods wrote:

>If people start routinely avoiding the copyright notices by "re"getting
>starting at byte 1900 so they can claim they didn't know what the copyright
>terms were, maybe it would have to be.

	This would never stand up in a court of law, because making a
concious decision to skip 1900 bytes of every file indicates intention
to skip the copyright (or stupidity, which is rarely grounds for defense
against copyright/license violations).

	If you were to extend this line of thinking you would be forced to
admit that the only way to properly distribute the files is in an encrypted
form, where they decription key is actually the entire copyright/license
text.  Thus you would be required to obtain the copyright to obtain the
rest of the code.

	Now we all know that's a little ridiculous, don't we?

Cheers,
Phil

P.S.: If NetBSD or any other "free" OS starts doing this or something like
      it I will sell all of my computers and become a masonry apprentice.

--
Phillip F Knaack
Systems Administrator, Information Development for Extension Audiences (IDEA)