Subject: Re: Licensing constraints...?????
To: Dave Rand <dlr@bungi.com>
From: William Coldwell <billc@warped.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1997 00:45:21
To the best of my knowledge, this issue has been resolved, and anonymous
ftp access has been restored.  CTM access has been revoked though, as this
violates licensing terms of many of the contributors to NetBSD.  This is
due to the method of distribution that this service provides (diffs, vs
entire files containing full licensing).

I shot from the hip, in order to prevent any legal issues that might
arise from this, and disabled more than I should have.  After consulting
a representative of The NetBSD Foundation, we believe that I am now
again operating in accordance with the copyright laws.

My apologies to the -current ftp users, and to mirror sites for the no-
notice temporary shutdown, and my deepest apologies to the CTM users
since I will no longer be able to provide this service until its
protocol and method are changed.

A humbled but overly paranoid NetBSD distributor :)
--billc
hate mail: billc@warped.com

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Dave Rand wrote:

> [In the message entitled "Re: Licensing constraints...?????" on Aug 27, 22:09, David Maxwell writes:]
> > Without knowing the background to this, it would seem a bit rude to just
> > cut this off without instead asking core to move the ftp site. It seems
> > likely the CGD license issue is what's going on here. I left JTC a voice
> > mail just in case no one is reading the mail for a while... If someone
> > could provide estimated transfer amounts (monthly say) I could consider
> > finding a place to provide this service.
>
> If someone provides a machine, I'll give them all the bandwidth
> they can eat for the purpose of the ftp/sup/web server.
>

> --
> Dave Rand
> dlr@bungi.com
> http://www.bungi.com

  William J. Coldwell             r               Warped Communications, Inc.
Chief Technical Officer    a    a  p     e    ?  1601 Civic Center Dr, Ste 101
Email: billc@warped.com  I  m  W   e !  r  y u   Santa Clara, California 95050
 http://www.warped.com              d  A    o    408.774.WARP FAX:408..347.WARP