Subject: Re: NTP problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1997 17:21:30
> xntpd 3-5.90 and upwards by default doesn't accept unauthenticated broadcast
> packets.  Starting it with the option -A should revert to the old behaviour.

Indeed.  This fixed the problem for me.  Thanks.

And earlier, when I said:

> Running NetBSD's xntpd in debug mode (-dddd) gives the following output
> every 30 seconds or so.
>
> 	sendpkt(fd=5 130.195.5.20, 130.195.5.87, ttl=-8, 48)
> 	transmit to 130.195.5.20

Perry asked:

> Ah, something is rather strange here. What is it doing sending out
> packets when it is listed as a broadcast client?

I don't know.  It still seems to do it when run with the -A flag, but only
every second interval -- ie, it starts by receiving a broadcast from the master
server on the net and doesn't send any response; then, after 30 seconds or so,
it sends a packet to 130.195.5.20 and immediately gets a response.  Then 30
seconds later it gets broadcast from that host without having sent anything,
etc.

But anyway, in spite of this, it seems to have successfully syncronized with
the broadcasting server now I've given it '-A' so I'm happy!

Duncan