Subject: Re: "cannot lock mailbox"...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rafal Boni <rkboni@concentric.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1997 20:10:17
[...warning tangent...]

In <199708232332.TAA13891@Twig.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>, der Mouse wrote:

-> Independent of compatability issues (an important disclaimer with all
-> the random MUAs running around out there!), I prefer $HOME/something
-> (on this machine we use $HOME/.mail).  What other utility keeps a
-> user's files in a central place instead of in that user's directory?
-> The only one I can think of offhand is cron, and I'm not convinced
-> there's any need to in that case either - I'd prefer to see a user's
-> crontab in $HOME/.crontab or some such.

	I dunno... Imagine a group of machines which all mount your
	$HOME from a central location... do you really want each of
	the machines to run your cron commands?? Moreover, cron would
	have to walk all users directories to be aware of crontabs,
	rather than walking the one directory with potentially smaller
	number of files (the assumption is that there will always be more
	users than cron users).

-> And as for compatability issues, I'd prefer to "solve" that "problem"
-> with a vfs, rather than by being bug-compatible with the past.  But
-> then, I'm a pretty iconoclastic changenik in some respects, as I'm sure
-> many of you already know :-)

In general, I think that's the best way to do it, but I'm not volunteering
to implement it 8-)

--rafal