Subject: Re: more SCSI preference questions...
To: None <mjacob@feral.com, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Incorrigible punster -- do not incorrige <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/1997 23:27:39
Matthew Jacob sez:
/*
 *
 * I've noticed that the current SCSI tape driver doesn't utilize the
 * DEVICE CAPABILITIES page to enable/disable compression. This is
 * pretty much needed these days. I think I'd like to start using this.
 * The use of density codes is very much getting to be deprecated.
 *
 * The question I have is whether or not we should blow a bit in the minor
 * device to get compression AND/OR have a mtio ioctl to enable/disable
 * compression.
 *
 * Along the same lines, since I have the hood open on the Solaris tape
 * driver doing this as well, what're folks' desires for BLOCK LOCATE
 * features for this tape driver and would separate ioctls for hardware
 * vs. scsi logical block locate be desirable?
 *
 * Let's see.... anything else? Not for the moment....

Yes:

Can we make a stab at getting tape drive error registers working
properly?  They've been pretty well documented on most devices.

I'd like to be able to get something meaningful out of 'mt st', such
as block number and file number, as well as actual error registers
and bits and the like.

It should be possible, also, to type 'mt st' and get the write
enable status of the unit.

...or Did I Miss Something Here? [TM]

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Have A Nice Day.  (Offer void where taxed or prohibited.)