Subject: Re: More verbose SCSI errors...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/1997 12:40:34
burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com (Dave Burgess) writes:

>> Perhaps a loadable kernel module could contain the strings, and the scsi
>> driver can test for the presence of the module:  no module, minimalist hex
>> version (not necessarily just a raw dump); if the module is present, call it
>> and let it format the printout as it sees fit.  The module could even print
>> a minimally interpreted version on the console and make the raw data available
>> for a user-land application to write novels about.

>I second this approach.  This way, if you want the messages, you simply
>load the LKM and off you go; otherwise you use the numeric.

While this is useful to the people that are curious about what the
funny messages actually mean that the scsi driver has been spitting out
for so long, this doesn't help the people answering suport e-mail (i.e.
the ones on the NetBSD mailing list).

When this code makes it into the kernel it should probably be enabled
in the INSTALL and GENERIC kernels.

--
Christoph Badura

Now available in print: Lion's Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code
			http://www.peer-to-peer.com/