Subject: Re: How is large file support?
To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG, der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1997 10:47:19
Excerpts from netbsd: 18-Aug-97 Re: How is large file support? der
Mouse@rodents.montre (1764*)

> Thus, if your filesystem is remote, NetBSD imposes only a 63-bit limit
> (though some remote filesystem protocols, eg NFSv2, impose smaller
> effective limits).

For NFSv3, there is a limit imposed by the 32-bit buffer
cache block number. Independently of the NFS blocksizes,
DEV_BSIZE units are used. This makes the maximum
file size even smaller than with a local FFS.
(I can imagine good reasons for the DEV_BSIZE units: the
NFS blocksizes can be changed while mounted. I have no
idea why the buffer cache is limited to 2^32 - this makes
the 2^64 off_t more or less a waste of bits.)

best regards
Matthias