Subject: Re: "cannot lock mailbox"...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/1997 20:25:25
On 8/17/97 at 4:16 PM -0500, you wrote:

> Was there ever a fix to the problem where you couldn't lock a mailbox
> unless /var/mail was 777 or 1777?

Um... If you're asking what I think you're asking, then the solution I use
is to have a group mail that owns /var/mail, and make your mail client sgid
mail, and make /var/mail mode 0775 (or 0771, or possible 0770?). I think
that was all there was to it. In any event, if your /var/mail is mode 777,
or even 1777, users can insert mailboxes to catch other users' mail.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't get elm to work properly without
being suid root. I don't much like that, but it basically stumped me. (I
might try making a pseudo-user 'mail' /var/mail owner, and suid mail elm,
but I haven't tried it yet.)

Oh... The other thing - with elm, anyway - was that you can't use both
flocking and fcntlocking. I stuck with flocking, and it works.

Good luck.

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();