Subject: Re: Strange behavior from XFree86
To: Chris Winters <winters@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1997 15:38:29
On Thu, Aug 14, 1997 at 09:09:26AM -0400, Chris Winters wrote:

> After X has started and a random period of time has passed (which can
> range from 5 minutes to a few hours) keystrokes become delayed.  That is,
> after typing a key, it will take an unusually long period of time before
> it appears on the screen.  Usually about 30 seconds after this starts
> happening, keyboard input is ignored altogether.  We are assuming it is
> not due to userland apps, because even after restarting X, keyboard input
> doesn't work.  The only fix for this is to reboot the system.

One known problem is that some keyboards don't take some methods of
setting the keyboard LEDs very well, and start acting up. If you
are using pcvt, you can use the PCVT_NO_LED_UPDATE option in your kernel
config file. I used to have keyboard trouble as well, this option
solved things for me.

- Frank