Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/1997 21:58:09
"Chris G. Demetriou" writes:
> In my opinion, _adding_ non-standard features to standard programs is
> what should be justified, not keeping them out.  (This applies doubly
> for ill-thought-out features.)
>
> There is not much use for this "feature" to begin with, since 'sleep'
> by its very definition cannot be used for high-precision sleeps.

Actually, it *is* of use. Many times I've found myself wanting to cut
a delay in a shell script from a second to half a second or what have
you -- on some tasks this is significant.

Were it not for the fact that I could conceive of a use for it myself,
I would not have put the feature in.

I did warn people before I did it, and I didn't get any real
opposition. I must admit, though, that I knew I'd hate myself in the
morning for it...

Perry