Subject: Small problem with -current /etc/rc on i386 diskless system
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/1997 15:33:49
Hi folks,

On a diskless (root and /usr on nfs) i386 -current system, with
kernel, userland, and manually updated /etc supped around 8/10 or
8/11, I'm getting some slightly strange behavior.  It's not a serious
problem, just a minor annoyance for anal-retentives such as myself.

Basically, the /usr partition seems to be mounted twice (i.e. 'mount'
and 'df' show two entries for /usr).

For example, here is output from mount:

tanstaafl# mount
tardis:/export/tanstaafl/root on / type nfs
tardis:/usr on /usr type nfs
tardis:/usr on /usr type nfs
procfs on /proc type procfs (local)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
/dev/sd0a on /c type msdos (local)

My guess is that the duplicate entry is there because /etc/rc does the
command "mount /usr >/dev/null 2>&1" twice:  once when [ "$lkm_init"
!= NO ] && [ -f /etc/rc.lkm ] and then once more a few lines down the
script, unconditionally.

On the server, repeated attempts to mount /usr fail:
tardis# mount /usr
ffs: /dev/wd0e on /usr: Device busy

But on the client, it succeeds, and I get yet another entry in the
mount table for /usr.

So, is this something that can be safely ignored (it doesn't seem to
cause any real problems)?  Is it a bug in /etc/rc?  Is it a bug in
mount or mount_nfs?

Cheers,
entropy

This message may refer to a product containing software developed by
Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project.