Subject: Re: What is a snapshot?
To: None <khym@bga.com>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/1997 10:32:25
Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> writes:

  > Has anyone been able to get cross-compilation working with shared libs?
  > I'm compiling on NetBSD/i386 with a target of NetBSD/m68k, and it works
  > great for kernels and statically linked binaries, but binutils 2.8(.1)
  > doesn't seem to know about NetBSD's shared libraries.

Well, I cross compile from a little endian pc532 to a big endian sun3
OK. I use the netbsd as and ld slightly patched. If you look in the
sources for these, you will notice that there are some cpp symbols
like CROSS_COMPILE (I am going from memory), but the cross compile
support is broken. I can give you patches if you like. (I have already
sent the patches to a few people, but I don't think they are achived
anywhere). What there is no support for is cross compiling to a
different word size. Perhaps "support for cross compiling" is
overstating the case! The CROSS_COMPILE code in as and ld looks like a
hack I did approaching 10 years ago.  If not, it is a case of parallel
invention. In any case, it appears to have suffered from bit rot.

As for binutils 2.x. As I understand it there *is* support for SunOS
4.x shared libraries. I was under the impression that NetBSD shared
libraries are fairly similar, so maybe it wouldn't be too much
work. But maybe the way to go is to go to elf instead of a.out.

Ian