Subject: Re: name of SMC91Cxx driver
To: Kouichi Matsuda <kmatsuda@elsip.hokudai.ac.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 23:49:59
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:59:08 +0900
 Kouichi Matsuda <kmatsuda@elsip.hokudai.ac.jp> wrote:

 > Why "sm"?  why not "es"?

That would be "oversight".  Since the new driver is on a branch, is would
be trivial to make the changes to change the name.  I'm pretty certain that
I'm the only person currently using this version of the driver :-)

I'm looking at the amiga version of this right now... the logic looks
essentially the same, but the amiga and arm32 versions are not as well
commented, don't support the media options, etc.

I will more carefully compare the drivers, and pull in improvements from
the "es" driver into the "sm" driver.  However, the "sm" driver is already
bus.h'd, etc., and I think doing it this way would be less work.

 > Will rewrite these two drivers (as "sm"?? )
 > using following MI part?

The arm32 will be mostly easy, since the arm32 has a bus.h.  The amiga
port lacks a bus.h infrastructure at the moment, so this will have to
wait.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935