Subject: Re: What is a snapshot?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 16:30:53
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:
>
> > ...so I think we need to get cross-compiling
> > working before we can start thinking about snapshots built by a
> > 'supercompiler'.
>
> What we really need is to get a.out dynamic linking into the current
> version of binutils. That solves several problems in one go, and
> makes cross-compiling from any platform (even a non-NetBSD one)
> much easier.
>
> This, however, is a non-trivial task, and diving into the bowels
> of a toolchain is a pretty grotty thing from most people's point
> of view.

I've thought about this off & on, but I'm quite put off by the prospect.
:-)

But isn't our a.out dynamic the same as all the other *BSD's? Can we chare
the effort/work?

> I keep looking at this project on and off, but I don't currently
> have the skills to do it. If I had 3-4 weeks with nothing to do
> I'd certainly be happy to sit down and have a go at it, but that's
> not likely to happen any time in the near future. It might be worth
> asking Cygnus how much it would cost to have them do it, and just
> pool together to come up with the cash to get that done.

If we went the $$ route (to which I'd chip in a grad student's bit), maybe
we could ask the other *BSD's to chip in a little (or more accurately see
if anyone there wants to help too).

Take care,

Bill