Subject: Re: What is a snapshot?
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@netbsd.warped.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 14:45:54
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:

> ...so I think we need to get cross-compiling
> working before we can start thinking about snapshots built by a
> 'supercompiler'.

What we really need is to get a.out dynamic linking into the current
version of binutils. That solves several problems in one go, and
makes cross-compiling from any platform (even a non-NetBSD one)
much easier.

This, however, is a non-trivial task, and diving into the bowels
of a toolchain is a pretty grotty thing from most people's point
of view.

I keep looking at this project on and off, but I don't currently
have the skills to do it. If I had 3-4 weeks with nothing to do
I'd certainly be happy to sit down and have a go at it, but that's
not likely to happen any time in the near future. It might be worth
asking Cygnus how much it would cost to have them do it, and just
pool together to come up with the cash to get that done.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates