Subject: Re: read only /
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 13:04:35
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
>
>  > | Perhaps the test in init should not be "if root is msdosfs" but
>  > | something more general-purpose, like "if /dev/console does not exist"
>  > | (for example), or even "if /etc/MAKEDEV exists" or whatever.
>  >
>  > I had it this way before and Jason asked me to add the msdosfs check.
>
> I suppose we could just check against /dev/console, but I'm concerned
> about "what if the file system got trashed?"

	Given that if /dev/console does not exist you will not be able to
	boot, trying the mfs approach should be a win (or no worse) in
	just about any situation.
	If the filesystem is corrupted to the extent that the the mfs
	setup fails, you haven't lost anything more than before; but if
	the mfs succeeds, you might have a fighting chance of now
	repairing the damage.

	If someone forgot to populate dev, then it makes it more
	interesting to do so ('umount -f /dev ; /dev/MAKEDEV all' ),
	but you still win...

		David/abs

  -- "Its hard to say it... I hate to say it... but its probably me..." --