Subject: Re: What is a snapshot?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 17:05:13
"Erik E. Fair" writes:
> A question: what is a snapshot? Is it:
>
> 1. build of the day (alpha or "developer")?
>
> 2. a slightly vetted build of the day (a beta)?
>
> 3. a less than completely formal point release (a beta)?

"It depends".

The way that I do things for port-i386 builds, I attempt to do as
complete a job of making things "look like a release" as possible, but
I have really very little way to test every aspect of the thing. I
think of it as being somewhere between 2 and 3. I often encourage
people to use the thing, but its rarely nearly as good as a beta.

Perry