Subject: Re: What is a snapshot?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 00:07:37
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> I'd rather see us have snapshots made available on a daily basis (or at
> least every day that the tree builds successfully). "current" is already
> understood to be "unsupported, you'd better know what you're doing" - why
> not the snapshots too?

My feeling is that this would make it more difficult for people to get up
to speed when they want to tinker with -current.  Imagine what would have
happened to the unfortunate soul who happened to download a snapshot for a
68K-based system while we had the recent problems with libc... it was
nearly impossible to fix without having another machine to mount a working
copy from (NFS, disk, what have you).

I like regular snapshots, but this seems like it might be a way to shoot
ourselves in the foot.

--scott