Subject: Re: high-volume INN server on netbsd, mmap(), and expire
To: Alexis Rosen <alexis@panix.com>
From: Dave Nelson <David.Nelson@BellCow.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1997 10:12:20
Your message dated: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 05:49:00 EDT

>2) I have expire built and running, and for the last year or two it has
>worked fine, cranking through a 300-400MB history file in 10-20 minutes.
>However, I can't reproduce this binary! I've built expire from 1.5, 1.5.1,
>and even 1.4u4, but no matter what I try, I get a version that runs just
>fine, but ~150-200 *times* slower than the expire I'm using. This is pretty
>embarassing but not being able to expire would be even more embarassing
>so I'm appealing to the list for help- what options are *you* using to
>expire? (As I was typing this, I wondered if it was gcc's optimization.
>-O2, -O3, and no optimization all produce the same results.)

	I've had this same problem.  The news.daily run is a real
memory pig. You need to unlimit the datasize right at the start of
news.daily and then the expire run will complete in the proper amount
of time.

	Here's what I used in a fairly large news server I set up for
someone:

	ulimit -d 262144

	The history file on this machine is currently 129MB and the
expire run takes about 13 minutes.  The machine has 64MB of memory.

	Hope this this helps.

/dcn