Subject: high-volume INN server on netbsd, mmap(), and expire
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alexis Rosen <alexis@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1997 05:49:00
I'm running INN 1.5.1 on netbsd 1.2. It's time to upgrade both of them,
and I have two questions that I was hoping someone might be able to answer:

1) mmap()- Has anyone had any problem with using the mmap() support in the
dbz library? What about the shared-active patch or actived? As I understand
it, this *should* work just fine. Does it? I'd *really* hate to find out
the hard way...

2) I have expire built and running, and for the last year or two it has
worked fine, cranking through a 300-400MB history file in 10-20 minutes.
However, I can't reproduce this binary! I've built expire from 1.5, 1.5.1,
and even 1.4u4, but no matter what I try, I get a version that runs just
fine, but ~150-200 *times* slower than the expire I'm using. This is pretty
embarassing but not being able to expire would be even more embarassing
so I'm appealing to the list for help- what options are *you* using to
expire? (As I was typing this, I wondered if it was gcc's optimization.
-O2, -O3, and no optimization all produce the same results.)

Beyond this, I'm curious what strategies are being used to improve performance
of INN under NetBSD.

Respond to the list, or email me, I'll summarize.

Thanks,
/a

---
Alexis Rosen   Owner/Sysadmin,
PANIX Public Access Unix & Internet, NYC.
alexis@panix.com