Subject: Re: csh build error
To: I presume I need no introduction. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/1997 14:25:48
>To make matters worse, when you _do_ define SHELL, you get a whole plethora
>of OTHER errors because it decides to include /usr/src/bin/sh/sh.h with
>some stuff that csh _doesn't_ need.
>
>I had this problem some time ago as well (like last weekend);
>	(did this get fixed in the interim &&
>	 why is it back) ||
>	 why is it not fixed?
>

>Paul Goyette sez:
>/*
> * >From sources supped just this morning (Sat, 2nd August), I get the
> * following error while making bin/csh:
> *
> * cc -O -I/home/paul/src/bin/csh -I. -DBUILTIN -DFILEC -DNLS
>-DSHORT_STRINGS
> * -Werror -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -c
> * /home/paul/src/bin/csh/../../usr.bin/printf/printf.c
> * cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> * /home/paul/src/bin/csh/../../usr.bin/printf/printf.c: In function
>`progprintf':
> * /home/paul/src/bin/csh/../../usr.bin/printf/printf.c:216: warning:
>implicit
> * declaration of function `warnx'
> * *** Error code 1
> *
> * Stop.
> *
> * It appears that the definition of warnx occurs within a #ifdef SHELL/#endif
> * pair, and SHELL is not defined for csh.
> *
> *
>
>* | Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:
>|
> * | Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |
>paul@whooppee.com    |
> * | and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |
>paul_goyette@ins.com |
> *
>
>*
> */
>

>				--*greywolf;
>--
>Sun hardware is great stuff.  It's too bad their software has taken
>such a downturn.

My appologies to people, I should have mentioned in my earlier message that
if you simply go into the csh directory and run the same command that make
fails on by hand but WITHOUT the -W flags, then I seem to remember you can
that these problems were simply gcc faling over because the flags
instructed it to return error for any warning no matter how inconsequential.

This is not a fix merely a work around.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu