Subject: New amd missing hesiod support
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/1997 05:13:56
For several years, now, I've been using exclusively hesiod for amd
mount maps (among other things).  I simply have a couple local patches
to turn on hesiod support in amd that I place in my union-mount build
tree before I make the world, and it's worked great.

Last week, I noticed a new amd was incorporated into -current.  At
first, I was pleased, since I haven't heard anything new about amd for
years.  Unfortunately, I noticed that it's been merged into -current
completely devoid of hesiod support.  Specifically, the file
info_hes.c is missing.

I understand that most people don't use hesiod, so I have no problems
with it being turned off by default in amd/config/Makefile.config
(although I could argue that libhesiod.a is a whole 13k on sparc, and
it might be nice to include it in NetBSD), but the current situation
is a bit less useful to me.  And I can't seem to find any reference to
where to look for the latest (complete) distribution of amd, now
apparently known as am-utils.

Any clues?  I'd like to use the version checked into -current, but
I'll need the complete distribution before I can compile it.

- Geoff