Subject: README: libc resolver changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1997 16:49:47
Hi folks...

I have just fixed a semi-serious bug in the libc resolver.  Basically,
the __weak_alias() namespace changes broke the getnetby*() functions,
which causes route(8) and whatnot to "hang" if the network had not yet
been brought up.

Also, since the getnetby*() now use BIND for resolving network names,
where they only used the /etc/networks file previously, I have added
support for doing dispatch via /etc/resolv.conf's "lookup ...", a'la

These changes have fixed the problems I'd been seeing in a mobile
environment where the network configuration changes dynamically,
and should also fix the similar problems others have mentioned.

I'm leaving for the IETF immediately after a short weekend holiday, so
I will not be able to field your bug reports.  I do not expect any problems,
however, but will try to take a look at bug reports filed with send-pr(1).


Jason R. Thorpe                             
NASA Ames Research Center                            Home: +1 408 866 1912
NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935
Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 415 428 6939