Subject: boot loader coolness
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1997 21:37:26
I recently added an IDE disk (for our mail spool) to our 'primarily'
SCSI system.  Under normal circumstances, this would be no problem.  I
would leave everything the same as before (not add the IDE drive to the
SETUP) and the system would boot off the SCSI, spot the IDE, and spin it
up.  Good theory.

The motherboard for our little experiment INSISTS on IDing the IDE drive
and then tries to boot from it.  Since the sd0 is no longer the primary,
the old boot code remained unfound.  Here was how I fixed it:

1.  Boot up from floppy and select hd1 as the primary drive.

2.  Add a boot block on the IDE drive and changed the list of kernel
files to include "hd1a:/netbsd".   I added a "hd1a:/onetbsd" for grins.

3.  Now when the system tries to boot, it sees the boot blocks on the
IDE drive, doesn't see a kernel file on the wd0 drive and boots
successfully from the sd0 drive.

As near as I can tell, it is working flawlessly; we had a major power
outage last week-end (long enough to drain all of the UPS systems) and
the system booted all by itself.

It isn't really a bugm so I'm not sure bugfiler is the way to go, and
I'm not sure that this isn't just serendipity.  If I were to ask for
anything it would be "Keep this functionality, please" and "could we add
a "hd1a:/netbsd" to the list of valid kernels?

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom