Subject: Audio changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1997 03:23:10
Hi there sound lovers!

I've just commited a bunch of changes to the audio drivers.
The audio driver can now handle devices that want "looping" DMA,
e.g. the SoundBlaster.  This means that high data rates can
now be used; CD quality sound plays without pops and cracks.

The audio driver can also be mmap()-ed now, which the OSS (Linus)
emulation takes advantage of.  (I.e. Quake makes a noise when you play
it!  Unfortunately the sound seems to loose synchronization as time
goes by; more debugging is needed.)

There are still many more things to do to improve the drivers, but
I wanted this in current so it can be tested before 1.3.

I've tested the SB and WSS drivers and it works for me.  If you
have any problems just tell me.

I will soon commit an updated audio(4) and a new audio_hw_if(9).

If you want some test programs get
   ftp://ftp.cs.chalmers.se/pub/users/augustss/soundkit.tgz
(it will appear shortly)

        -- Lennart