Subject: Re: showmount doesn't show all mounts
To: Chris Jones <cjones@clydesdale.math.montana.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1997 10:44:22
Excerpts from netbsd: 23-Jul-97 Re: showmount doesn't show .. Manuel
BOUYER@antioche.l (898*)

> So if you reboot your server, mountd will loose
> its list, and as the client has alerady the FS mounted, it never
> makes a mount request to mountd, so mountd can't register it again.

mountd keeps a copy of the list on disk and uses it
to initialize its in-core database when started.
(/var/db/mountdtab, it's plain text)

btw, at least on Ultrix, this list accumulates bogus entries
(non-exported directories, non-allowed hosts) over the
time - I have no idea why.
(I don't have a NetBSD NFS server myself.)

best regards
Matthias