Subject: Re: Anything wrong with email system
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David M. Stanhope <dms@celtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1997 11:24:13

> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 06:33:28 +0800 (HKT)
>  "c5666305" <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk> wrote:
>

> It's possible that you were automatically unsubscribed because your
> mailbox was unreachable for one reason or another (such as a DNS failure).
> Our mail system has this feature to ease server load and burden on list
> maintainers.
>
> I do see you are a member of netbsd-users and source-changes.  You may
> want to simply re-subscribe to the lists what you wish to read.
>
>  > For the pass week I didn't receive a single message from netbsd.  No update
>  > source message, no other message were received.  I checked against the
>  > ftp.netbsd.org and found that the current source tree was update.  Is there
>  > anything problem ?
>  >
>  > cheers
>  >
>  > Clarence CHAN
>
> Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
> NASA Ames Research Center                               Home: 408.866.1912
> NAS: M/S 258-6                                          Work: 415.604.0935
> Moffett Field, CA 94035                                Pager: 415.428.6939

I have also been unscribed on 4 or 5 occasions over the last couple of years,
usually when my company's net is down for several hours, but certainly less
than 24 hours.  It seems that the mail system should try somewhat harder before
it drops someone from the list. By the way the FreeBSD mail server usually
drops me at the same time, so I assume it is a freature of the software
being used, not a local policy.
                     Dave Stanhope