Subject: Questions about the compatibility of Snapshot 1.2g/sparc and 1.2.1 user binaries
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1997 10:33:54
	Hello.  First I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to my
questions about bad memory on my new used Sparc 1 and its relationship to
the dead NVRAM chip.  I've determined that the memory was indeed flaky in
the machine and have replaced the NVRAM chip, I bought the replacement from
Mouser Electronics as listed on the Sun NVRAM/HOSTID FAQ at:
        http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
It works fine and is now storing the time and ethernet adress correctly.

	My current question has to do with the compatibility between th
snapshot kernel of July 14, 1997 (netbsd.generic_scsi3) and the 1.2.1 Sparc
user binaries.  When I boot this kernel on this machine, it either panics
some time during the time it's executing /etc/rc, (panic: alignment fault)
or it gets stuck because the master shell dumped core while it was running.
It usually makes it to starting the timed.
	Is this a known incompatibility between  1.2g and 1.2.1 user binaries?
If I upgraded to 1.2g binaries in user space as well as the kernel would I
have more success?  Are the core dumps and the alignment faults related?  I
realize I'm not providing a lot of information, but perhaps someone who
wants more, or who could provide more useful information if they had more
would be willing to mail me and tell me what you need.

Many thanks in advance.
-Brian