Subject: Re: awk-problem compiling -current
To: Rob Healey <rob-healey@norstar.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/1997 09:28:31
On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:45:25 -0500 (CDT)  Rob Healey wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > for a couple of days (can't remember the exact date) I have problems
> > compiling -current. I hoped it would go away after another couple of
> > sups but without any success ...
> >
> 	Assuming you have a SPARC system the answer I got in the past was
> 	basically "tough luck, get a different model of SPARC..." I suspect
> 	it's a weird code generation issue on SPARCstation 2 CPU's since
> 	that's where there is a known problem with awk.
>
> 	I basically have to rip apart the scripts and generate the files
> 	on my Solaris box to get it to work... B^(.
>
> 	If you aren't on a SPARC then I have no idea although maybe it's
> 	a related gcc code generation problem on multiple arch's.

As someone else mentioned (sorry, I forgot who) there was definitely a
problem on NetBSD/pmax with awk (had something to do with the setjmp
code) that has been fixed in the -current libc.  Another workaround
that worked for me until the bug was fixed was to build gawk-3.0.3 and
install that as /usr/bin/awk.

If the problem is not on a pmax, I've got no other suggestions :)

Simon.