Subject: Re: 1.2G nfs fragile
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1997 17:39:57
Last night I wrote about hanging my 1.2G box because my server (1.2F)
got buffer overruns in ed0.
[I'm not replying to that item because it hasn't reached here yet :-)]

I "solved" that by using TCP...  However I noticed that when I mounted
a filesystem I'd get:

root:2# mount /share2
nfs server gate:/share: not responding
nfs server gate:/share: is alive again
root:3#

Every time.

If I let the P166 try and mount this fs at boot time (remove noauto)
from the fstab entry, I get:

nfs server gate:/share: not responding

and then the boot hangs.  ^C will break out of rc and let you get a
shell, which then appears to wedge in the fs...

I'll try allowing the mounts to proceed in background but it should
not be necessary in this case.  Ok I added -b,-2 and that seems to do
the trick.

--sjg

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */