Subject: xosview fixed (was Re: xosview with NetBSD 1.2G)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1997 22:42:37
Brian C. Grayson wrote:

> Matthias Scheler wrote:
> >
> > since I updated from 1.2F to 1.2G "xosview" (a nice X11 system monitor)
> > stopped working. It's probably the same problem that broke "top". Has
> > anybody patched it for use with 1.2G already?
>
>   I know I haven't.  :)  If anyone else has written a patch,
> please send it to me, and I'll check it in to the xosview
> source tree and make a new beta copy available.

  Well, it took me a bit longer than I expected, but a new beta
snapshot (xosview-1.4.4beta) is available from
http://lore.ece.utexas.edu/~bgrayson/xosview.html.  Here's the
scoop (this swapctl change is the only difference between
1.4.3beta and 1.4.4beta):

      xosview executables, configured and compiled on a 1.2G or
    later system, will use swapctl for 1.2G or later kernels, while
    if the same executable is run on older kernels it will
    auto-detect and still Do The Right Thing (kernel munging a la
    pstat -s).  Gotta love backwards compatibility... :)

      xosview executables compiled on a pre-1.2G system
    will have working swapmeters only on 1.2F or before, but will
    print out a helpful message if it thinks you have a kernel
    newer than 1.2F, telling you that you probably need to
    _reconfigure_ and recompile xosview.  (If one doesn't re-run
    `configure', then the HAVE_SWAPCTL Makefile variable won't be
    set, and nothing will change.)

  Many thanks to Matthias Scheler, Matthew Green, Scott
Stevens, and Mark Buechler, and special thanks to Dave Burgess
who allowed me to use his -current system to test out the new
code.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering