Subject: Re: Question about vm map slots on the I386 platform under 1.2
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1997 22:17:51
On Thu, Jul 10, 1997 at 09:35:21AM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> Jun 24 22:03:20 rumpleteazer savecore: reboot after panic: vm_map_entry_create: out of map entries

> 	Since the machine moved over 100,000 messages a day for over 100 days
> without a hickup, I suppose this isn't a burning isue, but I am curious to
> understand more fully how the vm stuff works under the hood.

I think your sendmail was lauching _lots_ of children and you ran out of
memory.  Limit the number of your sendmail processes to a safe value and
you should be ok.  I did this some time ago on one system that had a long
(over 100 days) uptime and then died suddenly during a high mail load.

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---