Subject: Re: NOTICE: serious fsirand(8) bug
To: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/1997 12:21:22
>> fsirand(8) had a serious bug that would cause it to damage file
>> systems larger than 4GB.  I've fixed this, [...]

> 2) Is it a problem with remote NFS filesystems, or only local
>    filesystems?

Well, I didn't write it, but think: if it's a bug in fsirand, it will
come into play only when you run fsirand.  And if you check out what
fsirand is, you will see that it's applicable only to local filesystems
(ffs filesystems only, I presume, though the manpage doesn't quite say
that).

Even then, it won't cause any trouble unless you run it.  I don't
_think_ fsirand is invoked automagically by anything, and if it is it
surely isn't anything but newfs.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca