Subject: Re: /usr/bin/w chicken/egg
To: Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/1997 03:32:18
Wailer wrote:

> Just rebuilt a kernel 1.2G sources from 7/5.  Rebuilt and installed
> libkvm(.old, i386).  Rebuilt ps and all is well.  Rebuilt w and still
> complaints about proc size mismatch; same with systat pigs.

Is libkvm.so.4.0 the *only* libkvm.so.* library in /usr/lib, or do
you also have libkvm.so.5.0?

I finally resolved a similar problem on NetBSD/i386 - no matter how
many times I executated 'kvm_mkdb' or 'make install' in libkvm.old, I
still had proc size mismatches in some utilities.

It turns out that, somehow, libkvm.so.5.0 (src/lib/libkvm) got
installed in /usr/lib, so even though I had libkvm.so.4.0 ("libkvm.old")
in there, ldconfig saw there was a newer version, so it used libkvm.so.5.0.
This caused sporatic problems with programs that used libkvm, including
'w' and 'top'.

So if you have NetBSD/i386, make sure that libkvm.so.4.0 is the only
libkvm.so.* library in /usr/lib.  If that is ok, run 'kvm_mkdb'
with your new kernel installed.

Jeff Thieleke