Subject: Re: True 64bit OS ?
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/1997 18:34:52
At 03:50 PM 7/7/97 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>In message <199707072125.OAA12636@feral-gw.feral.com> Matthew Jacob writes:
>: Au contraire. There are many 32 bit implementations on 64 bit
>: architectures- Windows/NW on the Alpha, for one.
>

>Also the first release of OSF/1 was 32 bit as well as the first
>release of VMS on the Alpha.

The first release of DEC OSF/1 (aka Tin aka 1.0) was 32 bit but then it
ran on DEC's MIPS based systems so that isn't surprising.

The first release of DEC OSF/1 for Alpha (aka Silver aka 2.0) was a
64 bit O/S (aside from lingering 32 bit bugs).  It was not a 32 bit
release.

VMS (until 7.0) was limited to 32 bit addressing.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Nashua, NH                Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message