Subject: Re: True 64bit OS ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/1997 14:26:05
> I'm writing some info about NetBSD to my WWW page and am in tempting
> to say NetBSD is true 64-bit on 64-bit architectures. Is this
> statement true ? I feel the sentence "true 64-bit" a bit vague ;-)
> What does it mean anyway besides ability to address more memory ?

I think this is not such a great idea - it's sort of like bragging
that a car is a True Vehicle.  The Alpha is a 64-bit-only
architecture, so anything that runs on the Alpha is by definition a
64-bit OS.  This isn't a selling point, so why bring it up?

The only platform I know of where this distinction might be
interesting is the MIPS R4000 and later processers, which actually
have 32- and 64-bit modes.   Maybe Jonathan Stone or Per Fogelstrom
can speak to the state of the implementation on those CPUs...

			       _MelloN_