Subject: Re: passwd
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Chief Anarchic Officer <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/1997 16:02:02
Brian Hechinger sez:
/*
 * matthew green drunkenly mumbled...
 * >
 * > if i'm root, i can change the password file manually.  why should
 * > passwd(1) ask me for a password when i can make it anything i like
 * > anyway ?
 *
 * that's it, i'm going to bed.  nevermind. :)
 *
 * -brian
 *
 * ps: we could make it so even root can't touch /etc/passwd. :)

GO TO BED!

1)	Root doesn't _care_ about /etc/passwd as much as /etc/master.passwd.

2)	The only system on which the administrator cannot directly touch
	things without much ado is the Other "Operating System" against
	which both we and System V are competing.

 *
 * --
 * ** Brian Hechinger ** wonko@mail.arkham.net ** http://www.arkham.net **
 * --
 * "Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
 *  Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding!  Evil
 *  is just plain bad!  You don't cotton to it.  You gotta smack it in the
 *  nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness!  Bad dog!  Bad dog!"
 *                                 --The Tick
 *
 */

				--*greywolf;
--