Subject: Re: passwd
To: Brian Hechinger <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Chief Anarchic Officer <email@example.com>
Date: 07/04/1997 16:02:02
Brian Hechinger sez:
* matthew green drunkenly mumbled...
* > if i'm root, i can change the password file manually. why should
* > passwd(1) ask me for a password when i can make it anything i like
* > anyway ?
* that's it, i'm going to bed. nevermind. :)
* ps: we could make it so even root can't touch /etc/passwd. :)
GO TO BED!
1) Root doesn't _care_ about /etc/passwd as much as /etc/master.passwd.
2) The only system on which the administrator cannot directly touch
things without much ado is the Other "Operating System" against
which both we and System V are competing.
* ** Brian Hechinger ** firstname.lastname@example.org ** http://www.arkham.net **
* "Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
* Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil
* is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the
* nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad dog!"
* --The Tick
D.A.R.E* to keep cops off donuts.
(* Donut Abuse Resistance Education)