Subject: Re: support for or experience of Fujitsu DynaMO drives?
To: Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/1997 11:29:16
On Jun 30, Andrew Reilly wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone comment on whether the Fujitsu DynaMO
> magneto-optical 640M drives work with FreeBSD or NetBSD?
> They seem to be reasonably priced, and the media is cheaper
> per byte than ZIP (and much cheaper than JAZZ).
>
> There seems to be several varieties of media available, but
> the types my local dealer has are the 230M and 640M.  From a
> quick study of the Fujitsu web site, the 128M, 230M and 540M
> formats have 512-byte sectors, so I would not expect any
> problems with these.

I happily use a 230Mo Fujitsu drive without problems.

> The 640M capacity disks have 2k-byte sectors, though.  I
> know that most BSD filesystems make some pretty strong
> assumptions about the size of sectors, but wondered whether
> there were work-arounds in place.

The 2k-byte sectors is a problem for NetBSD. For NetBSD-current,
refers to kern/3790, kern/3791 and kern/3792, and the recent discussion
on tech-kern (archives are available from ftp.netbsd.org).

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.                 bouyer@masi.ibp.fr