Subject: Re: termcap's xterm
To: J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 15:17:21
>> The 'xterm' entry in the standard /usr/share/misc/termcap{,.db}
>> shipped with NetBSD should use the absolute least-common-denominator
>> xterm sequences.  We should not assume that anyone telneting into a
>> NetBSD system with TERM=xterm is using an X11R6 (never mind X11R6.3 or
>> XFree86 3.3) xterm.
>
>The same problem (xterm capability vs. termcap database entry version
>skew) came up last December or so when I imported a new version of the
>termcap database which used the Xfree86 3.2 termcap entry as the base
>type for "xterm".
>
>After several complaints about the new termcap entry messing up older
>xterms, I quickly changed xterm to use xterm-r5.  The complaints
>stopped, so it may be generic enough for us to use.  I recommend
>that we revert whatever change which caused xterm to equal the
>Xfree86 3.3 termcap entry and use xterm-r5 instead.

if we're just gonna go backwards, why stop there?  i know a whole
BUNCH of suns that no one can be bothered to upgrade from
X10Rsomething...  :P

granted, we shouldn't be using something which sounds suspiciously
intel oriented, but it should be safe to assume that almost everyone
is using X11R6 at this point, no?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet