Subject: Re: Sensing a disconnected socket
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 15:09:54
>You're confusing two things: stdout, which is a stdio stream and is
>output-only, and file descriptor 1, which in traditionally used for
>output but in your case is bidirectional.  select() is telling you fd 1
>is readable, but stdout is still an output-only stream.

apparently the original idea had been lost along the way.  if he
selects on stdout and it returns as ready for a read, then the
(tcp/pipe) descriptor has closed and his process knows to die off

that's all we're trying to accomplish.  stdout was not bidirectional.

|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----| (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet                               that goes *ping*!"      * "information is power -- share the wealth."