Subject: Re: termcap's xterm
To: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 11:14:41
> >Presumably, the new xterm has these extra sequences.  (Does it have colour
> >too, I wonder.)  [...]
>
> The 'xterm' entry in the standard /usr/share/misc/termcap{,.db}
> shipped with NetBSD should use the absolute least-common-denominator
> xterm sequences.  We should not assume that anyone telneting into a
> NetBSD system with TERM=xterm is using an X11R6 (never mind X11R6.3 or
> XFree86 3.3) xterm.

The same problem (xterm capability vs. termcap database entry version
skew) came up last December or so when I imported a new version of the
termcap database which used the Xfree86 3.2 termcap entry as the base
type for "xterm".

After several complaints about the new termcap entry messing up older
xterms, I quickly changed xterm to use xterm-r5.  The complaints
stopped, so it may be generic enough for us to use.  I recommend
that we revert whatever change which caused xterm to equal the
Xfree86 3.3 termcap entry and use xterm-r5 instead.

For those of you who report problems with other terminal types, I
noticed that a newer version of the temcap database has been made
available.  I'll see about importing it as soon as possible.

	--jtc